The Aquatika public institution in Karlovac is primarily intended for children and young people, students, scientists, aquarists and local people to develop awareness of the outstanding biodiversity of the area and at the same time educate users how to sustainably use the remarkable natural resources of Croatia in the function of tourism.
The Aquarium is located near the Foginovo bathing area by the river Korana, in the centre of Karlovac. The Aquarium complex is a specially designed unit in terms of contemporary design, architecture and landscape that, with its architecture and green roofs in particular, naturally fits into the surroundings of the Karlovac recreation area.
The Karlovac freshwater aquarium is an attraction in every sense: ecological, educational, tourist, scientific or simply because of its originality and the fact that freshwater aquariums don’t exist anywhere else in the wider area – only here in Karlovac, in the heart of Croatia, surrounded by four rivers. Besides the main function of the aquarium, its task will be to present the traditional culture, geological past and way of life by the rivers and to be available to the scientific sector.
No European country has such diverse and preserved rivers as Croatia. Our river system is vast, but still insufficiently explored. The aquarium setting in the Karlovac aquarium tracks the flow of the typical karst river, providing a detailed, interesting, instructive and exciting view of the miraculous freshwater world. Each visitor can experience a river flow from its source to its mouth.
The largest fish in Aquatika is the Siberian sturgeon with a weight of 15 kg. Although it is not a local species, it is extremely attractive because it represents a family of five species that are now extinct in our rivers due to the construction of the Đerdap dam. Another such species is the beluga, which is among the largest fish in the world – the largest was caught in Siberia, with a mass of 3500 kg and a length of eight meters.
This is an ancient species, something like an elephant among mammals.
Tanks and assault guns, howitzers, anti-tank and anti-aircraft cannons, a demolished MIG 21 aircraft, armoured conveyors … Exhibits of the Homeland Warfare collections on the 1991-1995 battlefield line in the Karlovac suburb of Turanj. The collection is located at the scene of the biggest battles of the Croatian Army, which defended Karlovac, along the main road from Karlovac to the Plitvice lakes.
Rastoke was created by nature on the slope of the Slunjčica River into the Korana River. Nature was playing with the blue-green waters of the Slunjčica River and dispersed them into a multitude of waterfalls, the most beautiful of which are Buk, Hrvoje and Vilina kosa. In terms of its origin, Rastoke is actually the first introduction to the Plitvice Lakes.
This offers its users many creative and educational workshops, reading and storytelling. A fairy tale route also awaits, so come and explore Ogulin, homeland of fairy tales!
The old town of Ozalj was built and upgraded in different epochs, each of which gave its mark to these valuable buildings.
The earliest stone construction of the Old Town began around the 6th century, which is confirmed by the many remains of ancient Roman walls. However, the beginning of today’s castle construction dates back to the 13th century. Since 1244, it has been in possession of the king, then the families of Babonić, Frankopan, Zrinski, Perlas, Batthyany, and Thurn und Taxis, who in 1928 donated it to the “Brethren of the Croatian Dragon” – the current owners.
The Old Town is entered through a wooden bridge, which was a drawbridge until 1821. The middle column that carries the bridge is actually the former tower of the guardhouse with archers’ openings, which was used to defend the city moat. The column is also architecturally very interesting as the lower part is constructed on the basis of a triangle while the upper part is quadrilateral
Crossing the bridge, you enter a complex consisting of the entrance tower (built in 1599 by Juraj IV Zrinski), a smaller tower on the left of the entrance tower and the main defence tower, The Babonić Tower (which is also the oldest part of the complex), the southern, eastern and northern wings (all three wings are large 2-storey buildings) and Palas Zrinskih, chosen by the Zrinski family as their home for generations. In the 18th century, Ozalj was restored and turned into a beautiful castle. R. Perlas thoroughly rebuilt the ruined Old Town, and Teodor Batthyany added the second floor of the northern wing and built a new Baroque tract. The former Palas, long believed to be the oldest building of the existing complex, has been converted into a grain warehouse, and since then it has been called “Žitnica”.